Planning involves the ever-present need for Planners across the globe has multiplied manifold due to rapid urbanization.
Moreover, with transformations in the constitutional provisions for local governance, new modes of urban development overtaking the erstwhile state-led master plan approach, and a renewed focus on regional planning, Planners equipped with more contemporary understandings and skills are needed.
The detailing of a plan and implementation. Urban and regional planning involves the planning and development of buildings, parks, streets, understanding the use of resources, land, and environment. Strategic thinking, analysis, architecture, designing are the areas of strengths that are developed.
Master in urban and regional planning entails the development and designing of land with its environmental conditions. Air, water, land are taken care of. Physical layouts are made in such a way that maximum use of land is possible. City and regional planning for settlements are the priorities. They also include social places like parks and other natural settlements. Influencing how neighborhoods, cities, and regions develop is the work of urban and regional planners.
The Xavier School of Human Settlements, one of the constituent schools of Xavier University Bhubaneswar proffers knowledge about building sustainable, liveable communities. The Master in Urban and Regional Planning prepares the students for a career in developing and managing sustainable cities, towns, and other urbanizing places. It is a great option for students interested in a planning or policy career that focuses on urban spaces.
The curriculum is designed in consultation with industry to provide the students with the ideal balance of theoretical content and practical experience. It focuses on the social, economic, and/or physical environments that make up urban and regional spaces. Coursework is both technical and theoretical in nature. It draws on topics in planning methods, history, public finance, law, theory, design culture, urban governance, land development, transportation, and political & commercial processes.
Students will have the opportunity to specialize by selecting appropriate electives and completing a capstone project in any of the following areas –
- Water and Waste Management
- Urban Mobility
- Housing Development and Financing
- Economic Development & Livelihoods
There are many benefits to completing this degree. Students will be able to expand on their earlier education, which will open the door to many new options. Graduates can look forward to a varied career that may focus on a range of skills and topics. This will provide maximum job flexibility as they move forward through their careers. Jobs may focus on policy and strategic planning, research and analysis, policy implementation and management, architecture, sustainable development, and urban design or large-scale urban plans. The employers will range from municipalities and government entities to private architecture and planning firms.
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Architecture/Planning or Master’s degree in Geography/Economics/Sociology with at least 55% marks in aggregate from a recognized University can apply. Those with a valid Admission Test score of GATE/CEED/NATA/CCU will be given preference.
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate can apply. Those with a valid Admission Test score of GATE/CEED/NATA/CCU will be given preference.
- Candidates who have secured the 1st, 2nd or 3rd position in their Undergraduate Programs in Planning/Architecture/Civil Engineering or Master’s Programs in Geography/Economics/Sociology can apply without any Admission Test score by entering their respective ranks in the Xavier University Online Application Form. A certificate from the Head of the Institution stating their rank/ position must be furnished.
- Candidates from other disciplines with at least 60% marks in aggregate with a demonstrable experience and interest in Urban and Regional Planning can apply.
All shortlisted candidates (in all categories mentioned above) will have to appear for a Writing Ability Test and/or Personal Interview in one of the XUB Admission Centres in the country. Final year degree students, who expect to complete their final examinations in 2020 can also apply.
The final selection will be made on the basis of the candidate’s performance in the Writing Ability Test, Group Discussion and Personal Interview (which factors in the past academic record and relevant work experience).
Applicants have to fill up the online application form separately for the MURP program at: www.xub.edu.in. Upon successful filing of the online application form and paying the relevant application fee, the applicant will be intimated by email about the acceptance of the form.
The short-listed candidates will be called for Writing Ability Test, Group Discussion and Personal Interview.
- Public sector: Public sectors provide the degree holders a great future. The qualities of policy-making, development, and designing are needed.
- Academic: Students with deep knowledge can build a prospective future in teaching sectors by enrolling in colleges and institutes.
- Research: Interested candidates can pursue research work related to the planning and utilization of land and resources.
- Private: Scope in the private sectors are high. Consumer needs are given priority which includes planning and implications.
- Real estate: This sector always looks for talented people from the same stream who can higher up their profits levels.
Campus Living and Learning
Xavier University, Bhubaneswar has a well developed 35-acre campus surrounded by natural beauty. AC classrooms, an enviable collection of textbooks in its library, Campus Cloud and Data Centre, Graphic Lab, Wi-Fi Facility, Cafeteria, Medical Help, Sport and Fitness Facilities, Gymnasium are the main attractions.
The University encourages students to develop team skills and citizenship qualities through participation in interest-specific, voluntary student associations and other pursuits such as sports, social service, book clubs, music, debates, quizzes, contests, etc. The MURP is a fully residential program with a large number of Student Committees and Associations which promote student engagement in a variety of such activities.
This master degree will equip you with the knowledge, skills, and practical expertise needed to embark on a career in the field of urban and regional planning. This is just one more juncture for our students to shape the world we live in. Visit the website of Xavier University, Bhubaneswar at www.xub.edu.in and take a look at Xavier School of Human Settlements. Apply online and enroll yourself before the last date, i.e. 31st July 2020 for our Master in Urban and Regional Planning Program to enhance your skills and improve the quality of the built and natural environments.